Sullivan-King Mortuary and Crematory


Home  ·  Obituaries  ·  About Us  ·  Our Locations  ·  Our Services  ·  Showroom
Planning a Funeral  ·  Pre-Arrangement  ·  Grief Support  ·  Expressions of Sympathy™  ·  Recommended Links



Our History
Meet Our Staff
Our History

Our History
Former Downtown Location
Former Downtown Location
 

I n August 1923, the late J.S. McDougald, along with his associates, the late B.B. Bleckley and D.L. Reid, organized McDougald-Bleckley Mortuary. Mr. McDougald served as Manager and Secretary. Sam O. Sullivan purchased an interest in the company a few years later and served as Vice President and Treasurer. Following the death of Mr. McDougald in 1930, W.W. "Bill" King became Manager and Secretary. Following the death of Mr. Bleckley in 1935, D.L. Reid, Sam O. Sullivan, and W.W."Bill" King became the major stockholders of the company.

In 1941, the company moved into the former Post Office on Main Street. In 1949, the name of the company was changed to Sullivan-King Mortuary.

Mr. Sullivan and Mr. King continued to operate the company until March, 1969, when both men died in the span of three weeks. Jack D. Gilliland, who joined the firm in 1952, became acting manager. In May 1969, Mr. Gilliland became a major stockholder and was named President and General Manager. Mr. Gilliland would lead the firm for 28 years, until his retirement in 1997.

The company was sold to David C. King, son of the late W.W. "Bill" King, and Bolt McClain, a longtime employee of the firm. Mr. King now serves as Chairman of the Board while Mr. McClain serves as President and General Manager.

Following renovations to the Main Street facility in 1997, the company added a second location in 2000. Known as the Northeast Chapel, the facility opened in November, 2000 on North Highway 81. A beautiful chapel with a seating capacity of over 200, along with a large parking area and spacious viewing rooms, the northeast chapel offers families a comfortable, modern facility for visitations and services.

With the recent closing of the Downtown Chapel, all of our staff have moved to the Northeast Chapel. Our owners and staff remain dedicated to providing our families with the caring, compassionate service they have experienced from us for 90 years.





Contact Us  ·  Get Directions  ·  Mobile Version  ·  Privacy  ·  Terms of Use
    ©2007 - 2014 Sullivan-King Mortuary and Crematory    Funeral Home Website by Batesville, Inc.       Site Manager: Login